Monday, December 22, 2008

Vo's Cafe


(image from myspace)

I've been curious for a while about the strange little walk up sidewalk hut advertising Vietnamese food about 4 blocks from our apartment on University Avenue. Ashton tried Vo's Cafe a week or so ago, and sang its praises to me, causing me to flop myself on the floor and have a tantrum until we went over and satiated my craving for All Things Noodle. I settled for the Mock Duck Lo Mein, which sounded delicious and at less than $6 seemed like a steal. We made our way to the back patio area, and were greeted with an adorable little nook that made me feel like I was really in Vietnam. Bamboo walls, small tables, hanging plants, and Vietnamese music playing softly set the atmosphere as we took our seats at a window bar and awaited our feast.



This is my Plate of Glory. Believe me, this was worth every penny of that $6. Not only was it delicious and cheap, Vo (I'm assuming this was the do it all owner) is a totally awesome, really nice guy, and based on what I've read about Vo's online, he is something of a neighborhood legend. Everyone seems to know and like this guy. He took our order, and since I didn't see/hear anyone else, I assume he cooked our food, and also brought it to us, and then came back out to box it up! What service! What charisma! How could anyone do anything but sing Vo's praises?!? My ONLY qualm is that I asked for it spicy, and it came pretty mild, but I will note that he brought out that delicious chili flake paste which I used obscene amounts of. My only other qualm is that Ashton ate my leftovers which led to a sad discovery the next day. Only the ties of true love kept me from cutting out his betraying tongue. But believe me, Vo's is going to become a major staple in my diet.

No comments: