Monday, May 17, 2010

Madeleine Bistro

Even at the crippling old age of 25 I like to think I'm still young at heart! I hit the big quarter century in fine style surrounded by friends, beer, and music in the City of Angels having the time of my life. The weekend consisted of midnight stumbles around Hollywood, sidewalk hot dog vendors, the obligatory Kidrobot excursion, and of course good eats. I'm not terribly familiar with the L.A. food scene, and I can't imagine even scratching the surface over a weekend. With vegans in tow, we were steered by our Studio City resident friend to Madeleine Bistro north of Hollywood in Tarzana which offers only animal-friendly fare with nary a furry friend served!



To be honest, when we walked into a completely empty restaurant on a Sunday morning, I wasn't expecting much. The brunch menu isn't the most striking, and the atmosphere of French bistro meets California streets isn't exactly the most unbelievable or unique concept around. I suppose the whole vegan spin is a draw for animal lovers who also enjoy a bite out, but the faux-McDonald's breakfast meatless menu for three times the price and nary a bacon strip to be found didn't tantalize my tastebuds as much as I had hoped for L.A. However, due to the fact that I was VASTLY outnumbered, I sat down and plotted my upturned nose decline of food.

Well, maybe ONE beignet. I'm hungry now, and that won't be too much to fill me up until we can find a BLT, right? I'll take a half order.



Adorable! I'm sure they'll be tasty. At least enough to tide me over until REAL food, right?



Shit, these are amazing. Have I been fooled by the carnivorous propaganda?! Is it possible that this hippie crap can be... delicious?!?



Delightfully so! Sugar in the morning isn't my regular route, but after tasting these piping hot, sugary sweet morsels of absolute pleasure, I would be willing to forgo the dry toast and coffee for the rest of my life! Homemade strawberry compote sidled along lovingly to the large, hot, sweet balls of goodness which happily made their way into my mouth. After trying a bite, several others at the table promptly ordered their own and all were gone within moments. Even a half order was enough to satisfy not only my sweet tooth, but my desire for additional brunching! Everyone was kind enough to allow me to steal bites from their plates as well, and I was astonished to find flavor explosions on every plate. Don't misunderstand, I've had plenty of experience with vegetarian and vegan fare, but to go in with low expectations and to come out singing praises isn't exactly the norm. I know what I'm in for and generally have a realistic idea of what's going to be sliding down my gullet. However, Madeleine Bistro is absolutely a place for those skeptical carnivores and already committed vegans alike. An added bonus is the fact that it's away from the hustle and bustle and hours-long waits in Hollyweird! Skip the line and head for Madeleine.

18621 Ventura Blvd.
Tarzana, CA 91356
818-758-6971

No comments: