Saturday, May 22, 2010

I love you, Thomas Keller

As a young twentysomething culinary enthusiast living a life in high-rent Southern California sustained exclusively by an entry-level professional position, I find myself gravitating towards more towards low-to-mid level restaurants with only the occasional completely gratuitous meal splurge, seeing as the reality of eating out doesn't always meet my dining dreams. As a self-proclaimed food writer, I try to be as critical as possible in my taste outings, but with my limited budget I find that most of my posts tend to be more positive than perhaps a normal critic's might be. Does this mean that I don't understand the subtle nuances of food and the experience of taste? I don't think so. I like to think that I simply don't waste my time with food that has even the slightest possibility of being mediocre; there's too much food to choose from and too few dollars to get it with, and with the abundance of GREAT food and drink in San Diego alone, why bother taking a risk when sublime surely awaits elsewhere?

That being said, there exists a completely above-and-beyond realm of dining experience, the creme de la creme of restaurants across the globe, Michelin-starred, reservations months in advance required, any of which I would sell my firstborn for the privilege of a single meal. The French Laundry tops this personal list. That being said, Thomas Keller- this blog is for you. Quite simply, how many Americans idolize certain movie stars or athletes with celebrity obsession, I don't like to think that I consider "American royalty" anything more than a voyeuristic infatuation that Us Weekly has taken too far by preying on people who have nothing better to do than gossip about the latest sex tape and Hollywood escapade. I prefer to get my kicks in food, and great food is only made by great chefs, just as great movies are only made by great actors. As a more behind-the-scenes person, it's easy for me to understand and appreciate another artist behind closed doors. Of course, as the only American chef to have more than one Michelin starred restaurant, Thomas Keller is the Robert DeNiro of chefs in our time.

Chef Keller (can I call you Thomas?), you inspire my mind and tastebuds far beyond any other artisan weaving together plates of mouth-watering delight today. Thus far, I have only had the pleasure of dining at Bouchon in Las Vegas, and I pray every day that will not be the end of my experience of your vision. As some take pleasure in playing music, creating art, shooting hoops, going camping, or what have you, I take the most pleasure from taking the first bite for the first time in a new restaurant where from the moment I walk in the door I am treated as though I am home. It seems to me that you share the vision of comfort without over-pampering, and the highest standards for freshness and innovation without stuffiness. You hold the belief that perfection in food is unattainable yet should never cease to be the goal, in which the happiness of the experience can in fact create a perfect meal. A meal does not start and end with the food on the plate- it encompasses the company, the talk, the setting, the moment, and the food just happens to be a fantastic bonus in which memories are made from.

I don't tend to lose my head irrationally over a "celebrity", but when I heard that you were appearing at Williams-Sonoma to sign copies of "ad hoc at home", let's just say it was shades of Beatlemania fanaticism which surprised even myself as I lay gasping on the floor frantically scrambling to check my schedule. Unfortunately, with a steady gig in the 9-5 world comes the inability for noontime ventures such as this would require. Luckily, I had a friend who happens to be in between jobs and with a crisp $20 and the promise of eternal love, he agreed to get a copy signed for me. I regret that I couldn't shake your hand myself, but it's probably better that way- I can't guarantee that I wouldn't have jumped over the table to at the very least kiss your feet and offer my undying servitude.



As a stauch vegan, I'm sure it was difficult for him to be in the presence of completely opposite-idealed people discussing their love of foie gras and puzzlement at the idea of never again eating short ribs or a slice of Fondo di Toscana truffle cheese, but like a champion he stuck it out. Beforehand, I tried to enlighten him as to the lucky experience that lay ahead, but unfortunately my enthusiasm could not be properly channeled through another. Please accept my shameful excuse and humblest apologies. I'm sure it was an embarrassing moment when he handed my business card for this blog to you, and I doubt you'll ever even take the time to read this, but if you ever do, please know that I hold you in the highest respect as a chef and sharer of food the likes of which I can never replicate, but only appreciate and aspire to enjoy at least once at every establishment. Your book now sits proudly by itself on my coffee table, and I have already begun to collect ingredients to further my culinary exploration in homage to whom I consider the greatest chef in the world today.

Thomas Keller, I love you. Save a seat at the French Laundry for me- I'll see you there soon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

FYI You can buy Keller's Ad Hoc fried chicken recipe in a bag at Williams-Sonoma for a mere $14.95 (and 24 hours). Had you been able to go to his book signing you probably would've seen it there: http://www.washingtonian.com/blogarticles/restaurants/bestbites/15636.html

kmylml said...

I was in line at UTC for the book signing! That sucks that you couldn't go because of work. =( He was super nice and talked to each person. I got there half an hour before the thing started and there was already a huge line that had formed since 9am. I had to wait about 2 hours. Totally worth it!

I found out after that there was 6 degrees of separation between Thomas Keller and me, which was pretty cool. It's complicated, but here it goes: My previous roomie's girlfriend dated the stepson of Susie Heller and has met Keller numerous times. Susie Heller is the co-author of many of Thomas Keller's books. Mind-blowing!

Unknown said...

You forgot your present! I'll cook it and share pics with you I guess...