Monday, March 9, 2009

gulf coast grill part 2

How else could we spend our weekend but entertaining our latest visitors from VA way?? We've had a pretty steady stream of them, but so far we've hit the mother lode with 5 extra bodies at our place for the week. Matt H., Jenny, John Kincaid came in from Richmond and Big Brett + the German sensation Nicole came in from NY to soak up some of the California sun. With such a large group, we figured we'd play it safe for brunch and hit up a place with the capability to take care of a large group while still dishing up delicious treats. We hit the Gulf Coast Grill for the second time (we'd brought previous RVA'ers there on an earlier trip), and got seated immediately. I was skeptical of this place at first (any place whose main font is Curlz MT definitely loses points with me), but I was very pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food. California style meets Lousiana cuisine, with offerings like Muffaletas, fried oysters, grilled veggie quesadillas, beignets, catfish, jambalaya, biscuits and gravy, etc. All egg dishes are served with EXCELLENT rosemary potatoes, and the coffee is dark, fresh, and plentiful.

I went with the Muffaleta sandwich and when I asked for hot sauce they offered me either Tabasco or their home-made habanero pepper spread (which I of course accepted). She warned me that a little goes a long way, and she was NOT kidding. It was a late speading heat, but spread it did. I'm not huge on the actual flavor of the habanero, but if you want heat this is definitely the place to find it.

I envied Matt's selection of the steak n' eggs, especially when he ordered it exactly like I would have (medium rare and over medium) but I've always been hesitant to commit to such a serious meal in the morning. One day I will man up and go for it. Ashton got the Santa Fe eggs benedict with chipotle hollandaise, which looked spectacular and I gladly helped him mop up the leftover egg jizz with my sandwich. All in all, I'd rate it a very solid B+ with excellent service and accomodations, and good (not unbelievable, but consistently GOOD) food. I will definitely go back, and the fact that it's an easy walk from our house definitely helps.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG, the place to get muffalettas here is The Italian Store--natch. BUT the best, the original, the first i ever had was in New Orleans at a little deli across the street from Cafe du Monde. it was bigger than my entire head and i brought most of it back and dad, mom and i ate from it for days. it was truly orgasmic.