Monday, January 5, 2009

Pokez

Sunday consisted of a burrito brunch at Pokez, a Mexican/Vegetarian restaurant downtown (not unlike Ranchos in North Park). We'd been once before as newbies to SD, but it made a favorable impression on me and I had wanted to repeat the experience. It was a beautiful day so we rode our bikes the few miles downtown to indulge. I got the Mahi Mahi burrito in a wheat tortilla, and Ashton opted for the bean and vegan chorizo burrito in a wheat tortilla. Honestly, I expected to come out on top of this venture, but surprisingly his was unbelievable. Mine was "good", even "enjoyable", but the chorizo/bean combination was stellar. The Mahi Mahi was grilled nicely and everything was obviously fresh, but the white sauce was not anything special and the salsa fresca was simply okay. The beans and chorizo had a great spice on them and were exploding with flavor. Also, the salsa and chips they bring at the beginning of the meal were first rate. I'll definitely re-evaluate my choices next time.


Of course, in my anxiousness to dig it I realized I hadn't taken a picture until I had dissected my burrito, so here they are in all of their sloppy glory.




Ashton refused to stop eating for me to take a picture of his, thus the fork movement. Coming up next, our Vietnamese soup experiment that possibly is the best thing we've made so far. Stay tuned.

No comments: