Monday, January 26, 2009

The Mission Part 2

I've been very naughty in that I've had a few repeats of brunch spots before exploring some new places. Everywhere we go is so damn good though! It's hard to break out when you are guaranteed deliciousness, but I promise that soon I'll be stepping out of my brunch comfort shell and exploring a bit more. Regardless, this week BFF Annie Duffy came out from RVA for some San Diego sun, and I wanted to make sure that this vegetarian got her socks knocked off with some California cuisine. We went to a few favorite spots, like Ranchos, and I DID take her to Rubio's for what was also my first time... even though it is a chain, let me just tell you that the Fish Especiale taco was absolutely superb, and cheap to boot! I couldn't take any chances with brunch, so I took her to the Mission in North Park for my 2nd trip there.


This is the Papas Loco, a hangover remedy sent straight from God. 2 over medium eggs, 2 flour tortillas, a generous pile of rosemary potatoes, black beans, jalapenos, avocado, and cilantro. Brunch with a kick. Paired with a Thai Coffee and a side of chipotle cream, I got about halfway through before I admitted defeat. My only complaints were that the avocado and jalepenos were definitely lacking in quantity. Annie had it far worse though, with a heaping plate of eggs and potatoes with an entirely separate plate of steaming hot cinnamon french toast with 3 different kinds of berry compote circling around the french toast like a halo. Later that night I took a bite of her cold french toast and I was still blown away with its capacity for delicious. Truly, the Mission had pleased me once again.

No comments: