Friday, September 11, 2009

Westgate Pizza- Bethlehem, PA



For over 30 years, Westgate Pizza in Bethlehem, PA has been a family-owned town icon with a fantastic variety of pizzas, subs, stromboli, and more. Luckily, the lovely Marylou Ivey, native of Bethlehem, knew just where we should stop on our journey to Vermont. After a quick tour of the town (voted #88 of the 100 Top American Cities to Live in!), we stopped here to begin what would prove to be The Greatest Week of Eating in the History of Beth. Scott and I were overwhelmed as first time visitors, but Ashton took charge and made some great suggestions. Eventually I settled on the "small" stromboli, and weighing in at about 1-2 lbs. of pure cheese, meat, and veggies it was anything but small. I got through about half before I succumbed to the food coma threatening to pop my buttons and expose my quickly swelling belly. Ashton and Scott stuck to the famous cheesesteaks, and were kind enough to share bites of the majestic concoctions. The marinara they provided as a dip wasn't the greatest, but the hot n' heavy sandwiches and stromboli more than made up for it.

As if we needed more, their perogies couldn't be passed up, and they were great. Obviously quality, the edges had just a tiny crisp while the molten middle melted in my mouth. My only regret is that I didn't have another stomach to try the Sicilian Pizza, which was voted BEST PIZZA in 2000. If you're in the mood to drool, check out the menu, and if you find yourself in the neighborhood I assure you that anything you get will be fantastic. There are few things better than a greasy hot sandwich from a local deli, and I'm hoping to make a repeat visit to this one in the future.







Westgate Pizza
Located in the Westgate Mall, next to Eckert Drug
Bethlehem, PA
610-865-1393

No comments: