Saturday, November 20, 2010

Island Spice Jamaican Restaurant

Last year as I was preparing to head to Jamaica with my family for an island Christmas extravaganza in lieu of gifts, the owner of my company handed me a business card for Island Spice Restaurant and suggested that I give it a whirl. I tucked it absentmindedly into my pocket and forgot about it, despite working only a few blocks down the same street. After experiencing the claustrophobic joy of a Sandals resort, where all-inclusive food doesn't necessarily represent the local potential or even variety, I have to say I wasn't exactly enthused on the idea of some more mediocre Americanized dry chicken rubbed with pseduo-jerk sauce and cold beans with rice.

However, the idea and hope that Jamaican food might actually have something to get my tastebuds tingling led me to re-evaluate my previous prejudice, and a few of my more adventurous co-workers decided to join me for a meat-filled feast of curried goat, Jamaican BBQ chicken, and jerk chicken, each served with a side of red beans and rice and warmed vegetables. Ordering over the phone was easy, and based on the brief conversation with the harried employee your feelings are not taken into consideration, which leads me to believe that the food had better be damn good for them to stay in business.

Although I was told that each lunch plate came with fried plantains, none were to be found, and at $1 for a side I was disappointed with the lack of them despite our request. However, the meats themselves were surprisingly tender and absolutely wonderful; the BBQ chicken especially had a tender, juicy quality and the sauce packed a wallop that I had trouble not licking from the plate. The jerk chicken was no American falsetto; rather it did the nation proud with just the right amount of rubbed spices and tender meat hanging from the bone. The curried goat could easily be shared, unless one has a soft spot for a gutfull of the wonderfully greasy meat and marrow-filled bones. I was pleased with the amount of delectable marrow I was able to suck from the bones themselves, and while the curry lacked the spicy punch of the two chicken dishes, the meat was a unique and flavorful treat the likes of which I have not experienced within the city limits.

The dark greens and corn were wonderfully prepared and added an exotic, almost African quality to the entire plate. The red beans and rice were mediocre at best- a basic addition that served only to sop up the wonderful juices now running from our chins as we moaned in delight. Happily, my co-workers were more than willing to split all of the lunch meats so we could all have a taste of each dish, and while I think the vegetarians are out of luck in this particular restaurant, I recommend it as an off-the-beaten-path experience for those looking for an adventuresome, meatcentric meal.

Island Spice
2820 Market Street
San Diego, CA 92102-3105
(619) 702-9309

No comments: