Monday, April 19, 2010

Krakatoa


If anyone has ever read The 21 Balloons, then you know that Krakatoa is a force not to be reckoned with. The mammoth diamond-bursting volcano erupted with such violence as to disrupt the secretly wealthy world's elite and force them to escape via balloon. Classic!

While Krakatoa in Golden Hill proves slightly less volcanic, it remains an active and bustling spot to get a caffeine or just friendly neighborhood buzz. I was introduced to it some time ago during my work's weekly Friday group lunch, an event that is vehemently discussed, pondered, argued over, and ultimately bargained for each week with intense enthusiasm and prejudice. Over the last few months, Krakatoa has remained one of our regular selections not only for the proximity to the office and inexpensive menu, but for the consistent quality of food and atmosphere.

Cozily tucked behind large palm fronds, just past the tiki guard, a quaint wraparound porch lolls its way around a small green house occupied by professionals and scenesters alike. The coffee menu boasts a healthy selection of flavors and styles, and the entire menu is available all day. Having been partial to the lunch selections (the Colima being my regular choice), when friends and fellow food appreciators James and Stephanie were in town from Richmond we sprung on the opportunity to enjoy a lighter brunch option.



While I find their coffee to be generally tasty (avoid the chai- I've been fooled a few times and find it to be unfortunately watery and flavorless), they also have a smattering of iced teas that seem to rotate. The blood orange tea popped out as the most obviously delicious choice to me, paired with their fresh lemonade which was a splash of delight. While I was tempted by their oversized and tempting desserts (which I have only heard wonderful ravings over and have yet to sample), it was a bit early to satiate my sweet tooth. Lighter fare beckoned, and with affordable prices, a fantastic porch gathering area, great people watching, and a bustling neighborhood, what wasn't to like?!?





Breakfast options range from sweet treats to health conscious and everything in between. My everything bagel with veggie cream cheese, fresh cucumber, and cold tomato screamed fresh, and Ashton's avocado-smeared bacon crumbled El Jorullo was a great balance of savory crisp and slightly sweet spread. Their fresh fruit was actually fresh, contrary to what many places serve as the standby of tasteless melon with a few scattered grapes, which was an extra-pleasant bonus. The menu isn't unbelievably extensive for first meals, but with excellent offerings for build-your-own sandwiches, along with ready-made sweets and daily specials, there's absolutely something for everyone. Next time I'll leave room for their famous dessert- stay tuned!

Krakatoa
1128 25th Street
San Diego, CA 92102-2105
(619) 230-0272

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The ONLY reason I frequent this hip happening spot is an 😇 angel in disguise that took my breath away,,, Her name is Caitlin, I believe she prefers Cat, but I could have sat down for lunch with her and try to figure her out. Unlike many people roaming around with false bravados, she is something special. So sincere, unique and beautiful inside and out. My dining experience was superb thanks to my chance encounter with this esoteric woman who will haunt me in a good way.. Excellent service and I could tell by her genuine nature that she takes pride in everthing she does! Until next time you angel in disguise doing God's will with grace and mercy. 💞💜