Monday, February 1, 2010

Born Round by Frank Bruni


As an avid reader since childhood, it's easy for me to be extremely critical of many books that I come across as insincere, wordy, snobbish, or just plain sucky. However, nothing pleases me more than an accidental stumble upon something fresh, new, and that I can completely relate to. As a dedicated reader and foodie, Frank Bruni's book "Born Round" fulfills two of my great loves and engages the reader into the world of professional dining in a way that has never been done before. From chubby to college, from bulimic to the hot seat of dining, the New York Times restaurant critic, he explores his Italian roots where dining is an all-encompassing way of life, through his struggles with weight, acceptance, yo-yo diets, eating disorders, and finally professional accomplishment. It's a must read for anyone who either loves literature, loves food, or best of all, loves both.

No comments: