Monday, July 6, 2009

The Black Sheep

Awesome weekend 2K9! I could go into all of the amazing details of this incredible weekend, but I'll save that for another blog. Brunch, however, only increased the awesome of the weekend when a crowd of some of my favorite people descended upon The Black Sheep in Richmond, Virginia. I've been here a few times before, and it has NEVER disappointed. We called ahead to make sure this lil' place could handle a party of 9 (Myself, Andy, Annie, Flza, Beth DD, Mike D, Lil Joe, Amy McFadden, and Dave Witte) and only had to wait in the rain for about 10 minutes. We took up a large portion of the corner, but they seemed to have the rhythm of the place down and we snuggled in very comfortably. Most of us were pretty severely hungover, so their Community Coffee from New Orleans hit the spot in a BIG way. Andy, being my partner in culinary crime, recommended the Grillades and Grits (pork cutlets pounded thin and simmered in a rich gravy, served over creamy yellow cheese grits with buttered toast), so after contemplating between the rest of the incredible menu, I went for it. It was fantastic. My only qualm was I had to cut the port cutlets with great care since they covered the plate and the gravy seemed to have maximum splashing potential. However, the grits were cheesy and unbelievable- the perfect addition to my stomach. I got 2 over medium eggs on the side as well, and with the toast and pork it was a delectable delight to start my day.


Andy got the Barn and Bay Breakfast Sandwich (Scrambled eggs mixed with crabmeat, country ham, green onions, and swiss cheese on buttered and grilled texas toast) which I have had and moaned over every dripping-with-perfection bite. He also got the cool skull mug and everyone was jealous.


Annie and I look a little haggard from the rain + boozin from the previous night, but their coffee perked us right up!


Annie decided on the Black Sheep French Toast, which looked/smelled/tasted INCREDIBLE. Chocolate hazelnut spread sandwiched between two slices of french bread, battered, griddled, and then served with a warm orange syrup. There's also an option to add vanilla ice cream for $1 or sliced banana also for $1. Dessert for breakfast, yes please!


This was MY meal, and even though bacon is my pig-of-choice in the morning, there was nothing depressing about putting this in my mouth.


Lil' Joe got the Huevos Nuevos, and I have to admit that the ones at Kuba Kuba look a little better to me. Black Sheep has definitely got the handle on Southern cooking, but I'd leave the international flair to the Cubans. Still, I can't imagine anything but delicious from this dish. Two eggs served over black beans and creamy yellow cheese grits with queso blanco, mole verde, pineapple salsa fresca and jalapeno sour cream, served with buttered toast and an option for guacamole for $2.

All in all, I can't recommend this place highly enough. The fact that they've barely been around a year and have already established themselves as a serious contender in the Richmond restaurant scene is no small feat. I have a feeling this little nook is in for some great things.

No comments: