Monday, April 20, 2009

The Bruery tasting at Whole Foods


One of the things I really miss about Richmond was my connection within the food community there. It's a tightly knit fraternity that can only be entered through the blood, sweat, and tears of participating in this largely thankless industry. For as much crap as you have to deal with working in the restaurant/catering world, there is no limit to the rewards reaped in the network-dependent clique. It was rare for me to go to a restaurant or bar without some connection or hookup there; this incestuous relationship is not uncommon, especially in a small town with an emphasis on food.

Now that I am separated from the relationships I had built over the years, I have longed to re-enter that world, slowly but surely, in San Diego. When we saw the flier for a Belgian Beer Tasting at Whole Foods, of course we jumped on the opportunity. No stranger to beer dinners am I, and a rabid fan of all beers Belgian. The featured brewery was The Bruery, which is an infant to the industry and located in Orange County. Their beers were accompanied by so many cheese plates it really ended up being more like a never-ending cheese tasting with some beer on the side, but it was excellent nonetheless.

The first beer we tried was the Bruery White Orchard (5.7%, 15 IBU's, $7.99 per 750 mL), and the first thing I noticed was the bottle it came in. They have super-cute and kitschy labels that are a great accent shape over the whole bottle. Only a design weenie like me would even notice, but it's nice to be drinking a good beer with an attractive label. I can definitely see me drinking this a lot, especially in the spring/summertime. It's incredibly light and would make an excellent shandy.

Next up, Bruery Black Orchard (5.7%, 15 IBU's, $7.99 per 750 mL). Along the same vein as the White, but slightly malty and had a mild licorice flavor. I didn't love this one, it seemed over-carbonated and had that sticky-in-the-mouth feeling like coke leaves. You know how if you're drinking a really fizzy soda you have to pause for just a moment before swallowing it because all the trillions of bubbles pop at once? It's like that. Not a bad beer by any stretch, it had hints of coriander and chamomile. I rated it "weird but good". An occasional sip.

Saison de Lente (their Spring Seasonal, 6.5%, 35 IBU's, $10.99 per 750 mL) was up next. It's supposedly the "lighter" version of the Saison Rue, but I found it hoppy, fruity, and dry. It was over my personal preference of hoppiness, but it was still nowhere NEAR what an IPA would be like. It had a really great smoothness, and the taste lingered just long enough without overstaying its welcome.

I was excited about the Trade Winds Triple (8%, 25 IBU's, $10.99 per 750 mL) when Patrick told us there was thai basil in it! I was actually so excited that I wrote "hurray" in my notes. Don't believe me?

Anyway, it was very similar in color to the Saison de Lente, but cloudier with a really strong, floral aroma. For some reason I've always has this strange aversion to Tripels, but this had a great pear flavor that was a bit too carbonated but good. No one else seemed to like it, and I don't think I could drink the entire bottle myself... but if I found myself in that position, I'm sure I could rise to the challenge.

The Saison Rue was up next (8/5%, 30 IBU's, $11.99 per 750 mL), and the alcohol content just keeps rising! The first sip of this amber-colored beer was excellent, and paired with a bite of one of the soft cheeses they complimented each other wonderfully. We got a little zany and tried pairing it with the White Stilton with Lemon Zest on top of the Nairin's Stern Ginger Oat Biscuits, and it was a match made in heaven! This beer is absolutely enhanced with a good pairing!

Last but not least was the Partridge in a Pear Tree: Winter Seasonal Belgian Style Quadruple (12%, 20 IBU's, $10.99). There's something about winter brews that always contain a high alcohol content. I understand that in the North or East where you spend months on end huddled in your apartment cursing Mother Nature and nursing your body back to warmth with a brew, but here in Southern California it's just not necessary! Beach Christmas, anyone? Regardless, staying true to the Belgian style, this caramelly dark beer is not made with roasted grains (which is why the majority of dark beers are actually dark in color). The Quadruple contains almost no roasted grains, which means it doesn't have the smoky flavor found in most dark beers. It substitutes caramels and sweetness for smokiness, which I found to be a pleasant change. This beer is also unique because every year it will be the next line in the Christmas song, meaning 2009 will be 2 Turtledoves, and so forth. An excellent collecting incentive!

All in all it was a pleasant and educational evening. The cheese was magnificent, the beer was a new treat, and the company was stellar. I hope to drink much more of these for years to come!

No comments: